Sunday 1 March 2015

An Experiment Part 2 (72 hours later)

On Sunday morning I took the dough out of the fridge and let it warm up a bit.

It was still bubbly and quite stiff, it had collapsed a bit but it was not much different to when I put it in the fridge on Thursday.


I shaped it into two boules and put the oven on to max,


I planned to bake it in Dutch ovens,  it took 45 minutes for the oven and pots to heat up before I added the dough. If you get them nice and hot, the dough doesn't stick and keeping the lids on traps steam. 

It will be interesting to see how much spring I get, of course I may end up with two flatbreads. The usual method is 30 minutes at max, followed by 15 with the lids off.


at the 30 minute stage they had risen nicely,




and after the final 15 when I took them out, the crusts had browned.





Now I just had to wait an hour for them to cool before slicing.





And the results of the experiment? 

Well you can see that the bread looks good, it certainly kept in its dough state for 72 hours and was easy to handle. The total time I spent in preparation was under 30 minutes, in five minute bursts so it was easy to fit in with the other parts of my life. The taste is subjective but I like it and so does Yvonne. Its got a good chewy crust and a creamy crumb. It reminds me of the bread I ate growing up, before CBP took a hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment