Friday 24 May 2013

Custard Slice Part 1


Its Yvonne’s birthday, so I decided to make her a cake, but not just any old cake- Oh no, I have to do it the hard way.

Now I know she likes the custard slice, so my idea was to do her one filled with clotted cream and raspberry jam.

I had raspberries in the freezer from last year, so the first job was to make the jam.
 

There is an easy way to do it, measure out equal amount of fruit and sugar and slowly heat,
 
keep it moving until it starts to produce liquid, then stir gently to avoid breaking up the fruit too much. Bring it to the boil for about 5 minutes and test for setting with the back of a wooden spoon. (I use a thermometer at 105 degrees C)
 

Jam done, the clotted cream is ready, just the pastry to do. I’m going to use Peter Rinehart’s biscuit mix, so I froze my butter yesterday (makes it easier to grate) but that’s a job for this afternoon.

 

Meanwhile here’s an update on the jungle. (Garden)

The forget-me-nots had almost finished in the orchard (well 5 patio fruit trees)
 
and I wanted to do something a bit more permanent in the area. The flowers look nice but when they go over there is just a blank area and the weeds take over. So I pulled the flowers up and laid weed control fabric.
 
Then got a big bag of gravel and spread it out. There was enough to top up the paths in the back as well.
 

We are off to Totnes, its open studio’s today so a chance to support local artists. Last year one of them told Yvonne that she should get creative, and could see her selling work in the future. At the time she was just starting her first beaded jewellery course, and since then she has indeed sold her work, in shops and privately. Also her greetings cards in shops. So today we will go back and see this lady, and give her the news.

In the next post, I make the cake, and Naomi and Eamon come down for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment