Thursday 16 May 2013


I don’t know about yours, but my freezer can be a maddening place. There seem to be containers of half remembered things, and as I have never been one for labels, the contents can be a mystery, until defrosted.

I did find a tub of sweet and sour sauce, probably from the Asian supermarket in Gravesend, and some of the crispier of the Pork that I slow-roasted last Sunday. I added fried onion and pepper to it; it can be warmed in the oven this evening.

 

In all the excitement of making bread for sale, I’m not making any for ME. Hmmm so today I did a quick sourdough, quite simple really

700g active starter
700g Strong white flour
300ml warm water,
20g salt.

Mix, knead and prove for a couple of hours, then shape and rise for about three.



 Bake as usual.

 

The advantage of using more starter than usual is the reduced proving time for the same taste.

I have a lot to do in the garden, but am a bit nervous about putting runner beans, tomatoes etc. out, in case there are more cold nights. But they are all ready to go.
Runners

Tomato

Peas
 

I found a recipe for making your own clotted cream, maybe I’ll have a go, but until then I need some for Yvonne’s birthday cake, I have to make it without her spotting what I’m up to, it will be a puff pastry jam and cream slice, with chocolate topping (maybe) I guess I’ll have to do it on her birthday, early in the morning. Naomi and Eamon will be here but they won’t get up early.

Devon show tomorrow, I went last year and it rained all day, Yvonne stayed here as she had hurt her ankle, hopefully I will be a good day for both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment