Sunday 12 May 2013

Pigeons and Roast Pork

First, I have to put a couple of pictures of Yvonne up here, as she feels that she is under represented, so here she is, first looking enigmatic at Vennford Reservoir,


and then at the BMAD bike festival in Paignton a couple of weeks ago.


We have had some pigeons eating all the seeds, nuts and fat balls out the front for the last few weeks, none of the other birds can get a look in. As you can see they have grown fat on this diet (although not as large as the ones at Tilbury Grain Terminal, who can hardly fly) and quite tame.




Sunday is always a day for a roast, at least if I am not working, and today I have obtained a nice piece of local Pork.

I will be roasting it slowly for several hours, and to start I scored the rind,

 
seasoned it and put it in at 220 degrees for 30 minutes, uncovered.


 
Now that the skin is starting to crisp, I covered it and put it back at 150 degrees for about 4 hours.

Meanwhile I cut up the last of the bread for croutons, basting in Balsamic Vinegar and Oil.



They went in for around 30 minutes, until they look burnt (it's the vinegar) and slightly crisp.



 They get harder as they cool.

There was a 2 for 1 breakfast offer at our local Garden centre, I had the healthy scrambled eggs version.

 
A bit of a celebration for passing my medical! But as there are 3 of my 5 a day there, with tomato, beans and mushrooms, I can feel virtuous.

Don't miss part two, with the results of the slow roast pork.

No comments:

Post a Comment