Sunday 2 November 2014

Bread and Butter Pudding and NaNoWriMo update

I'm afraid the blog posts will be a little light on words this month, as I'm pouring all my energy into finishing Ribbonworld. I emailed a publishers agent on Friday, with some questions about submission, I got a reply too, which was unexpectedly fast, anyway rather than send the first few chapters now with the book unfinished, she advised me to wait until I had the whole story finished and then send the first bit.

Funnily enough, this has motivated me to finish, and it proved to be good advice, I wrote about 2,300 words yesterday, some of which suggested changes in the part I would have sent off. Changes for the better, that developed the plot.

At one point yesterday I was completely in the zone, the story was playing out like a movie in my head and I was just writing down what was going on. Like watching a meeting in a coffee shop and copying down the conversation, no thoughts or emotions, just writing what you see and hear.

The first time that happened, it felt weird, I mean where was all this coming from, the characters were saying things that I hadn't considered. The plot moved in a different direction and so many more possibilities opened up from a series of events that just flowed onto the page. After I looked back at what I had put down, I still can't work out what made me start or where it came from.

The idea of NaNoWriMo is to get 50,000 words down in 30 days, that equates to 1666 per day. With 2257 done I am above this, but there is still a long way to go.

In a way it was nice to go and do some cooking, but I'm sure that the film will start again soon, and I will be there to capture it. 

I have had so much spare bread left over at the moment that I have been looking at ways to use it up.

Bread and Butter pudding is an obvious choice, but instead of just putting sultanas in it, I used Golden Raisins, Cranberries, Flaked Almonds and Dark Brown Sugar as well. I also added Vanilla Essence to the custard.







It was rather nice, there's enough for tonight as well, after our roast Gammon.

The film is starting again, I don't want to miss a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment