Tuesday 18 December 2012

The Rush, Part 1.


I forgot to tell you about the sausages in cranberries recipe from Nigel Slater. Well I quite liked that, but Yvonne was not so keen. I must admit it was a bit sweeter than I expected, but still enjoyable.

I fried the onions for a while,
 
until soft, and then added the sausages.
 
After they started to brown I put Cranberry jelly and Fresh Cranberries in
 
and left it to simmer for 25 minutes.
 
We had it with couscous the first time. It looked a bit dubious, but was fine.

A usual, I cooked double, meaning just a reheating job Tuesday, because we had loads to do, Yvonne didn’t fancy it again, so as it was just for me, I split the amount and froze half. I will cook potatoes for two and freeze half of them, thus leaving me a meal for work. So for the second meal, instead of the couscous, I’m making garlic and sea salt potatoes.

These are potato slices which are par-boiled then fried in olive oil and garlic paste.
 
 Then they are arranged in layers in a dish and each layer is sprinkled with sea-salt.
 
 When the dish is full, the potatoes are pressed into a cake,

I knew the rusty flat-iron would come in handy!
 
 which is heated in the oven before serving.

Slightly more annoying, I brought some fudge at the Totnes Good Food Market, and now I can’t find it, I’m sure I put it in a bag with the cheese but it’s not there. Both dogs are looking innocent, and I haven’t found the packet (which has happened before) so I don’t know where it is.

Tomorrow is a big day, I have Shortbread to make, plus Mince Pies and Mozzarella Cheese, also a loaf which I have started and will leave to rise overnight. Yvonne did some shortbread today which she will give to friends tomorrow, lucky them.
Yvonnes Butterfly Shortbread.
I found a couple of pieces of Rump Steak in the freezer, so we will eat well tomorrow, a fair reward for a busy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment