Sunday 4 March 2012

Bottled Apples update

Good Morning from a very wet Devon, where I am now the proud owner of a leak in my Conservatory Roof. Funnily enough it's in a place that I can't reach without serious scaffolding, so its buckets in place till Monday.

Anyhow, nellymary from Down to Earth :


http://justlikemynanmade.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/more-food-experiments.html


 was kind enough to allude to my Grandmothers use of Campden Tablets to preserve apples. So for anyone who has found there way here, I took this picture today of the apples I bottled last September.



As you can see, they are still fine, I used one of the other bottles last week in a crumble, and as long as you give the apple pieces a good rinse in running water, there is no residual tang from the chemicals.

Later today I am making a chocolate custard tart, I will let you know how it comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment