Saturday 22 February 2014

Dare we Hope?

Whisper it very quietly, but I think the weather is getting better.
I worked on Thursday, and Yvonne came up as well, staying with Naomi and Eamon for the day

Work was steady, four jobs but mostly in the dark,


just one picture, outward bound at Erith.

When we arrived home on Friday afternoon, it was warm and sunny, but as we stepped out of the car it rained, a short, sharp shower. Since then it has been clear and mild, warmer out of the breeze.
Anyway we got the dogs back from kennels this morning and took them to Broadsands for a walk and a swim.


As you can see it was ideal for a paddle, but Fliss the black lab doesn't like the noise of the waves and will only paddle. Tizer goes in for a proper swim though,




Now too food, last time we went to Totnes we stocked up on sausages, especially Pork and Marmite from Evergreen Farm.

As they contain hardly any liquid I cooked some on a bed of Onions,


firstly by frying the sliced Onions for about 10 minutes, until they started to soften. Then adding a sprinkle of Brown sugar and frying for 5 minutes more. Finally add the sausages and fry till cooked through, by which time the onions are sticky and well browned.


 This tastes good with mashed potatoes, to which a spoon of Mustard has been added.


Yvonne will be in Hospital next week for a major operation, so I'm learning how to peel grapes and work the hoover, to build up her strength I made a crumble, using the last jar of preserved apples,


and a tub of frozen berries from last years bumper crop. (Only 6lb left in the freezer now!)

It made a huge amount, I needed my big Pyrex to fit it all in.



I made the topping with the remains of my Einkorn flour, some Oats and a handful of mixed seeds,



I have to admit that I use Custard Powder, (life's too short to mess around with Eggs) and Brown sugar, cheating I know but very tasty!

Yvonne's operation means that I have taken leave from work and with my normal off duty periods I have 6 weeks off, so after next weds I go back on April 9th, plenty of time to look after her and do some other jobs, particularly in the garden if it has dried out.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Richard

    Sorry that Yvonne has major surgery ahead. Hope all goes well for her will keep my fingers crossed and toes plaited. Crumble looks heavenly and I must confess I use custard powder too and then every so often for a treat make it from scratch. Please both look after yourselves. Love and light.

    Pattypan

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that from us both, we were wondering if you were OK as not seen a post for a while. All best wishes to you. R and Y

      Delete