Saturday 6 September 2014

Aftermath



I'm still trying to get to grips with my new camera, the more I try, the more I'm amazed by its abilities.



If only my hand shook a bit less! Maybe I'll get a tripod.

Here's another menory,


The empire State Building from ground level, taken in 1977.



And the Aleutian Islands near Dutch Harbour, in 1987.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, I have a beef stew to make in the slow cooker.
I brought about a kilo of Skirt Steak in our local butcher (veggies look away now), it cost me a little over a fiver. I browned it after cutting into chunks and put it in with Mushrooms, Onions and Carrot. Also a bit of grated horseradish.



the gravy was made from veg stock out of the freezer, added to the frying juices and a spoon of cornflour.



After 8 hours, it was falling apart, it tasted pretty good with Roast Potatoes and Parsnips, also some Broccoli for variety.

The Clotted Cream I was making last time cooled and I actually got 540g from 1200g of double cream base.



Nothing was wasted, the remains were used to make the Devon Splits and there was enough left over for Hot Chocolate!



I've been avoiding telling you about the Talk at Oats, it went very well, after I invited the audience to sample the wine!

Seriously though, I had Rose Petal, Dandelion, Lemon Balm and Rhubarb wines for them to try, I didn't expect everyone to like everything but was pleasantly surprised (and relieved) at some of the comments.

Later we moved on to Home Made Vinegars on Focaccia, (Basic, Elderflower and Blackberry Glaze) followed by a cream tea (Devon Split with Bramble Jelly and Cream)


Unfortunately, we never got around to the 4 year old Elderberry wine, maybe next time.

I even managed to get some orders for various things, hopefully the word will spread.

Lastly today, I picked the first of this years apples, skins still a little tough but lovely flavour.




No comments:

Post a Comment