Sunday 13 November 2016

Sunday Crossover

I have an author website, which I normally keep separate from this blog, but this month, what with it being NaNoWriMo, and all that entails, I haven't got much to say, largely because that has been keeping me from doing much else.

As you might know, the idea of NaNoWriMo is to write 50,000 words during the month of November, which should be enough for a first draft, it will give you a plot and most of the background for a novel. 

I know, because I actually wrote "Ribbonworld" in November 2014, while I was off sick from work and had time on my hands awaiting surgery. In the end, it was finished off at 73,000 words in April 2015 and published in November.

So this year, as a project, I took a short story that has had a good reception and decided to turn it into a novel if I could.

The story was "Andorra Pett and the Oort Cloud Cafe," my homage to the "Cupcakes on the beach" genre that one literary agent suggested that I should write instead of sci-fi.

If you haven't read the story, you can either download it here or take the plunge and get the full collection of short stories that it's featured in here.

Anyway, after 12 days, I have around 25,000 words done, so I'm coming along nicely, I have the full plot, I know the end and which character did what. All I need to do now, in the remaining 25,000 words,is complete the dialogue and scene setting and I'm done.

And I found the most amazing website, that I expect everyone else knows about, to design a cover. 
I normally use the wonderful Cathy Helms at Avalon Graphics to do my covers but this one needed something quickly. It will only be an e-book for the moment, assuming that I actually finish it and that it's worth publishing.

The site is Canva, it's very easy to use and full of great features, this only took me a couple of minutes (I expect you can tell!), and felt in keeping with the spirit of the story.



Once I have finished writing it and my editor had given it a wave of her magic wand, I'll be asking for opinions and giving away some free copies of the first edit before the whole thing goes live. Stay tuned for details!

In what little other news there is, I have made another month's supply of Onion Rings, they now reside in the freezer. Made with sourdough starter and beer in the batter they are the perfect side dish for just about anything. As well as the larger size rings, I also batter and fry the little bits from the core, delicious!







And my new mobile has arrived. I had an email to say that I was due an upgrade and this was the result, 



for the same monthly payment and nothing to pay for the phone. I also got an increase in my data allowance, which will come in handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment