Sunday 14 May 2017

Hot pot and Mackerel fishcakes

One thing that I could never get my children to eat was lamb hot-pot. I don't know why? after all, they liked lamb, I think it was the butter beans that put them off.

Anyway, now that they all have gone off to cook for themselves, I like to make it for Yvonne and I and I've added a little twist of my own to it.

First, the lamb, chunks from the leftovers from our roast.



Cut the meat into small pieces and put it into a casserole with the spare gravy, add the butter beans (or not)



then add chopped onion, carrots and some frozen peas.



Give it a stir, this is when it stops looking quite so nice but bear with it, things will get better.



Top with sliced sweet potato,



and top that with the pre-cooked potato skins that I'm always banging on about. If you don't know the secret of these, look HERE. They're a great way to avoid food waste.



Now all you have to do is cook it at 180°C for about an hour and a half, until the onion and sweet potato are soft.

Next up this week, Mackerel fishcakes. The first job is to dry some bread, 140°C for an hour and make some breadcrumbs.



Take your Mackerel, I found these in a local shop, a little easier than fresh as I was in a rush.




drain the sauce and mash the fish, adding Balsamic vinegar and salt/pepper to taste.



Get some mashed potato and sweet potato mixture,



combine, and then form into cakes,



cover with flour,


then the breadcrumbs and you're done.



No comments:

Post a Comment