Wednesday 1 May 2013

A bit of gardening, and Elderflower Cordial.

 I had a load of dried elderflower, and with this years crop already starting to form,




 thought that it was about time to use it up.
I weighed it out, and there was 150g of the stuff, now 5g of dried is the same as 6 flower heads, so I could make about 1.5 litres of cordial, that should last me a while.

Anyhow, I made a sugar syrup and infused the flowers.



 You have to leave it for 48 hours in the fridge to soak, before straining and bottling.

My veg are growing wellnow, I took pictures about a week ago and yesterday, you can see the difference. I now have runner beans,



carrots, salad leaves,


peas, broad beans and potatoes all doing well.

Also I potted on my tomato plants,

 
it's hard to beleive that they will soon be 4 feet tall and groaning with the weight of fruit.
Last Jan I ordered some new Strawberry plants, they are supposed to "Climb" and produce fruit on runners that can be trained up a trellis. Being a sucker for anything thats a bit quirky, I sent for some. They arrived yesterday and I potted them on.


 
when they are a bit more grown, I have a frame for them to climb up.

And after last years washout, my fruit trees have blossom!

Pear

Apple

Peach

More Apple
High hopes there.

Off to Tavistock today, to see some friends and a sopt of lunch/retail therapy. Also the drive across Dartmoor, which always provides some glorious scenery, and makes me realise why I chose to live here.

No comments:

Post a Comment