Sunday 2 March 2014

Comfort Food

Everyone has a favourite comfort food. It can be savoury or sweet, common or esoteric, from Custard or Buttered Toast to Chocolate or Egg and Chips.  For me (and this probably says a lot to a trained person) one of my favourites is potato mashed with grated cheese. For some reason it sticks in my mind as being associated with good times.

With Yvonne's immanent hospital stay, I made a batch, with my own twist for a simple snack to have on my return from visiting, wih some tuna or cold meat.

First fry some Red Onion, ading a little Balsamic vinegar,



while thats going on, peel and boil some potatoes and grate your cheese of choice, it's got to be a strong cheddar.


Mix the cheese and the cooked onion in a saucepan,


add the boiled potato and mash together. Put it in a greased dish.


Bake for 20 minutes in a hot oven, till it gets a crisp crust.


Perfect! That will keep in the fridge, it tastes just as good hot or cold.




1 comment:

  1. Sounds quite good!
    I'm trying to figure out what my comfort food is. Outside of the general comfort of sweets, I think my favourite is this: cook potatoes, cut to small pieces, cut onion and bacon, fry onion and bacon together, add potatoes and fry and mix together thoroughly, enjoy.
    Which is part of why this sounds good: my savoury comfort foods are bound to involve onion and bacon or cheese, and often potatoes. Or all of the above. (Halušky! Unfortunately not good comfort food in terms of time to make.)

    ReplyDelete