Thursday 5 May 2016

BBQ Chicken and Spring Flowers.

I haven't done much food blogging recently, I've been a bit pre-occupied with the upcoming book. But of course, you still had to eat I hear you say. Well, that is true but its been mainly food that I have blogged about before so I haven't posted it again.

However today I did a new recipe for me. BBQ chicken with a homemade BBQ sauce.
It wasn't as thick as I would have liked it to be, but the flavour it imparted was divine, and I can always try it again, I have an idea for that.

Anyhow, the sauce was made from Agave Syrup, a dry BBQ rub that I was given for Christmas (I don't know what was in it) and some Tomato Ketchup.
I mixed the ingredients and coated the skinned chicken portions. 




That was where I went wrong, it was so runny that it all fell off the meat.

I baked the chicken uncovered for 45 minutes at 180°C in a fan oven, basting every 10 minutes to get the sauce over the meat. 




In the end, the heat thickened it up enough. 

Next time I think that I will cook the sauce and reduce it before I coat the chicken with it.

We had the chicken with a salad of Watercress, tomato, grated carrot, corn, and grapes.




which was superb.

Last week I found a Chilli and Harissa spice blend, that should do for a lamb mince idea that I have done before and will probably try on Saturday.





Our garden has really taken off in the last week, the first of my potato plants have surfaced (just)



and everything else is looking great, especially the tulips.












although we also have Bluebells,



wild garlic, (both sorts)




and some pelargoniums,



The apple blossom is out as well,





and I've put the bunting up on Yvonne's summer arbour.



Finally, the dark hebe is trying to cover the God and Goddess.



That's about it but I can't resist one last message about the book. The edit is done, now the manuscript can be formatted for ebook and paperback. Advance copies will be ready soon.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I have had runny sauce but never thought of how to fix it. The tulips are lovely. Great color for the yard. I used to have tulips and a few iris but we let the boy mow the lawn. How he managed to miss patches of grass but run over a few flowers I beyond me. However, the more he mows the better. I am behind in my vegetable garden but the herbs are doing well. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I have had runny sauce but never thought of how to fix it. The tulips are lovely. Great color for the yard. I used to have tulips and a few iris but we let the boy mow the lawn. How he managed to miss patches of grass but run over a few flowers I beyond me. However, the more he mows the better. I am behind in my vegetable garden but the herbs are doing well. Great post!

    ReplyDelete