Saturday 13 February 2016

Millionaires Shortbread

I found a tin of Condensed Milk in the cupboard, left over from the Well Bread! days (I can't remember what I bought it for, I think it was for biscuits) and as we are between Totnes Good Food Markets I decided to make some millionaires Shortbread. 
Linda of Red Earth Kitchens makes a peerless piece but she has threatened to stop as nobody buys it.(except us) I reckon I need to learn how to do it in case supplies are disrupted.

First off, I made the base, 325g Plain Flour, 200g Butter and 100g Caster Sugar, all rubbed in together and pressed into a lined baking tin 20x30cm (8x10 inch)

This was baked for 35 minutes at 140°C and set to cool in the fridge.



Next the caramel, melt 150g butter and 150g light brown sugar in a pan,



add a tin of Condensed Milk (397g) and simmer for about 8 minutes, I used my Induction hob set on 100°C and kept stirring. You will feel the mixture thicken.



Pour over the base and smooth out, return it to the fridge.



When the top is set, melt 400g chocolate, I used 200g each of Plain and Milk and the microwave,(people will tell you not to use a microwave but I like to live on the edge. Be careful though and just heat for 20 seconds at a time, stirring before re-heating)




Then pour over the set caramel and smooth out, return to the fridge.





Then be patient, this is the hardest part of the job!!

Give it at least 3 hours before you cut it, overnight would be best really because everything has to be set or it will ooze. After 1 hour the edges were setting but the middle was still soft, as you can see.



but after another hour it was almost there.



The moment of truth, I lifted it out of the tray and removed the paper,




then cut into portions.


Not a bad morning's work.

2 comments:

  1. That looks easy enough. Again the non cook in me had no idea that is how you do caramel! Is that parchment paper? How many sheets did you use? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just one sheet of parchment paper, cut it large so you can use it to lift the whole thing out once its set. I was surprised how easy it was, I'd never made caramel before. I started at 0545 and it was ready to eat at 1000 (I did put it in the freezer to cool though)

      Delete