Friday 17 April 2015

Potatoes

I've got my potatoes planted into their bags, this year I'm only growing "Charlotte," a salad variety which sold be ready to harvest in June or July.

I put 6 inches of compost in the sack, add two potatoes,


 then six inches of compost and another two, 90 degrees apart from the first two,




 covering with six inches of compost. I never have to earth up, just keep watering and add some fertiliser when the leaves show. And keep the slugs out.

I also brought a tomato plant, this one is supposed to produce Black tomatoes, we'll have to see how that turns out. Trouble is I cant remember the name of the variety, I got it from Plant World in Newton Abbot and it's a good looking plant so I'm sure it will be fine.




 I just need to build my greenhouse to put it in, the greenhouse is still in boxes from last summer, with my shoulder problems I haven't been able to put it together.

Since I have decided to retire early, I have felt better, I think its the realisation that after 40 years of working irregular hours I'm finally able to relax and do my own thing. As I said before I loved the job (40 years is a clue) but the never really knowing what I would be doing or when must have had an effect because now it's not there I feel different. No doubt the novelty will wear off, hopefully not for a long time. Plus I will never work a Christmas again, one trip I did years ago I was away for all the families birthdays and my wedding anniversary, saved a fortune of course but still not worth it. Mind you we did have a big party when I got home.

I also want to make sure that I don't turn into one of the people who you meet who regales you with boring tales of "when I was ******** back in the days......" etc: etc.

As far as I'm concerned that was what I used to do then and this is what I do now, if you want to know I will tell you, but not if you're not interested. All I would say is that the reality was nothing like you would have expected and leave it at that.

We're off to Totnes Market today, the sun is just breaking through and it looks like it will be a wonderful day. Whatever you're doing, enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment